Tiruchirapalli District is located along the Kaveri River in Tamil Nadu, India. The main town in Tiruchirappalli District is the city of Tiruchirappalli, also known as Trichy. During the British Raj, Tiruchirappalli was known as Trichinopoly, and was a district of the Madras Presidency; it was renamed upon India’s declaration of independence in 1947. As of 2011, The district had a population of 2,722,290 with 1,013 females for every 1,000 males.
Tiruchirappalli district lies within Tamil Nadu. The district has an area of 4,404 square kilometers. It is bounded in the north by Salem district, in the northwest by Namakkal district, in the northeast by Perambalur district and Ariyalur district, in the east by Thanjavur District, in the southeast by Pudukkottai district, in the south by Madurai district and Sivagangai district, in the southwest by Dindigul district and, in the west by Karur district. The Kaveri river flows through the length of the district and is the principal source of irrigation and drinking water.